Thanks to strong community contributions, Senator Buchanan School is able to offer healthy breakfast on occasions that student – for whatever reasons – have not been able to have breakfast at home before arriving at school. While the program does not intend to assume parents’ responsibilities, it does help us ensure every student begins their day ready to learn.
A variety of co-curricular activities are offered to children at all grade levels. Some examples of the activities offered are soccer, skating, badminton, sign language, crafts, T-ball and choir. Teachers and support staff offer these activities during their lunch hour. Participating children eat lunch at the school.
Early Education Program
Children must bring their own healthy lunches, which they will eat in their assigned lunch room with Teacher supervision. There are no microwave ovens available to heat lunches; we would ask that only lunches that do not require warming be sent to school.
Making Connections is an integrated, school based community health promotion, prevention and early intervention program.
The Making Connections worker at Senator Buchanan School is Lacey Otway. Lacey may be contacted at 403-327-7321.
Making Connections works with children, families, schools and the community to ensure the best possible learning environment both at home and at school. Making Connections welcomes students, parents, guardians, foster parents, siblings and extended family members.
Our services include such things as:
- Heart-smart life skills classroom presentations
- Courses and information for parents on such topics as family relationships and finances
- Special interest classes for students (i.e. child management) and school based clubs (i.e. games club, drama club, girls or boys club)
- Leisure activities for parents, families and students (i.e. family fun nights, craft nights)
- Supported referrals
- In home support
- Liaison to community resources
- Breakfast program (for those students who have missed breakfast)
- Semi-annual free clothing exchanges in the city schools
- Support in accessing subsidized healthcare, educational opportunities and extracurricular opportunities for students